Normal Topic SMSTO (Read 1736 times)
DylanF

SMSTO
Nov 29th, 2020 at 5:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've read the documentation about this command, but I must be missing something. I sent the follow command to my SiB, but when the button is pressed, nothing seems to happen. If I swap SMSTO with ALERT, it works fine, but I'm trying to send an SMS message that doesn't require the recipient to have SiMP installed:

PROG S
ALERT [my number] I'm done!
HALT

IP Logged

Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Re: SMSTO
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 2:37am
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Dylan,

Our earlier versions of SiMP for Android had an ability to send SMS but the current version available in the app store does not.

I'm not sure if you're using Android or iOS but for iOS it never had SMS support. These limitations are not ours btw, they are both coming from Google and Apple, they don't want to give those features unless the app is a dedicated text messaging app only.

IF however, you are using Android as the default platform, you can actually download a version of SiMP direct from us which does support SMS.

For iOS we don't have SMS support at all. Reason we have support for SMS in our internal Android version is because we primarily use Android devices and the SMS function via SiMP is nice to have.

Having said the above, the only way SMSTO works is if when the SiB is pressed, it can send the command to your SiMP running in your mobile which then in-turn sends the message as an SMS to the recipient.

Like I said earlier, if you have Android, you can download this version of SiMP:

www.simp.net/simp1943.apk and install it. Once you've installed it, you need to go to settings and then go to SMS Setup followed by Inbound SMS setup then select your number and make SiMP receive SMS as well as your native engine - this one is not optional because Android demands that if SiMP is to be able to send SMS, it should be able to receive also.

There's a cost to sending SMS, this is why we can't offer it any other way.

Failing the above, the only option is for the recipient to install SiMP as well.

IP Logged

DylanF

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 12:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks, Mark.

I am using IOS on the device where SiMP is installed, but maybe I can use one of my old android devices as a dedicated SiMP relay.

The current setup I'm using with the ALERT command works fine, but my ideal use case is to have the SiB trigger a message that is broadcast to a smart speaker. Understood that would require Tasker/IFTTT/similar currently, but that's the desired end state.

IP Logged

Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2020 at 12:50am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Dylan,

Apologies for the late response, we had our power turned off here in a great part of San Diego and that meant no computers / nothing for almost 2 days!

So if you're using iOS that's not going to work in this case. For SMSTO to work, the mobile phone must be able to also send text messages and that means having a SIM card installed - which I doubt you have on a phone that's not being used much.

Yes, IFTTT will come soon, there's lots of applications for the SiB that fall under that umbrella, but we haven't yet started on developing for that - our goal right now is to get the latest version of SiMP out which is going to be so much better than the last - like much more user friendly and therefore easier to use and understand.

Also, I'd like to point out something important about your other SiB - the one that's probably no longer starting, because when we sent it to you, it went out in the wrong mode, it was sent in SiD mode, not SiB mode.

The mode was mostly a human mistake due to the format command we used prior to shipping it out and the format command didn't clear the previous state it was in, a state all SiBs get put under to test them prior to shipping.

SiD mode means the SiB doesn't go to sleep, stays on and on and on. SiB mode is where you press the button and does its thing and goes back to sleep immediately therefore conserving precious battery power.

Because of the above mistake we made, we're sending you 2 new batteries to your address so you can get the other SiB working again, by now, it would have died due to being on all the time and using all the battery. You'll also have a spare battery for future use. These are about $3 a piece so store it in a good location.

Replacing the battery is not terribly easy, but for us takes less than 1s to remove the cover by hand, its just a little finicky when you don't know where to pull and push. the cover is almost indestructible so it makes it hard to remove.

You will need to press with both thumbs on the cap and with not your index fingers, but the ones that follow, lift the cover up and past your thumbs to reveal the insides and remove the old battery and put the new one in there.

If your nails are not strong, you wont be able to do this as a lot of pressure is placed on them.

When you do the above process, make sure the arrow is pointing away from you. Another way you can find where the lifting points are is by looking under the SiB and where the + and - points of the battery are, its those sides.

When you assemble the SiB again with the new battery you must put the cap in the right way and its easy because there's only 1 way to place it. Then the cover also has only 1 right way and how to tell is by looking under it, inside, there's 2 little columns and these must be in the direction of the arrow also / parallel to the battery.

The new battery will bring back the SiB to life and with mode SiB you will get a long life out of the button.

To get it to mode SiB you should send the command from your conversation in SiMP even though we've sent the command from our side, but just in case. Command is just: mode sib

Regards,
Mark

IP Logged