Normal Topic Challenges (Read 1505 times)
Sliced Page

Challenges
Mar 2nd, 2020 at 7:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have a challenge for someone and of course others can challenge other sib users.
Using a Sib produce something that will help with the current Pandemic of the Coronavirus(covid 19).
Or indeed any virus.

IP Logged

Jstyles

Re: Challenges
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2020 at 3:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Interesting post. I like the idea of 'challenges' to force some out of box thinking.

One quick thought (mildly related) on this is using the SIB as a 'mark as safe', broadcasting "I'm Safe" "I'm ok" to certain contacts.  To be used in all sorts of disaster scenarios.

IP Logged

Sliced Page

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 12:31am
Print Post Print Post  
And here we are in that disaster. Good idea. One short press sends a text to those who may be concerned for your welfare that you are "still perpendicular" .
Perhaps three presses and,"Not so good need help" I know of at least one neighbour who is vulnerable atm and such a device would be a comfort especially as we could be in lockdown until July! 
It's common that most, not all, people above 75 don't have access to the internet via a computer but do have a mobile/smartphone so I wonder if the SIB could use that way to send those messages. I have a few old smart phones gathering dust and might buy a few more SIBS to give to people to help in this difficult time .
I don't know I need more research.
And why do I always do my forum stuff so late at night   geeeez  Shocked

IP Logged

Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 1:42am
Print Post Print Post  
Howdy and sorry for the late response - its been hectic here.

Well, what you mention is pretty much EXACTLY one of the main functions of the SiB. An emergency button has always been a highlight because a SiB is very low cost and can be placed in multiple critical locations around a home.

A cool way to let those you care about know that you're OK is to either have a motion sensor accessory (not yet available) or a magnet - which is available.

Basically you'd put a SiB on the top of the door of your fridge and put the magnet on the other side.

Whenever the door is opened the magnet is separated which wakes the SiB up and sends a message.

Alternatively the SiB can be put on some timer (say 24hrs or less) and if the magnet as not been separated from the SiB thus not waking it, the SiB itself would wake and send an urgent IM.

The point of that, is that a person would typically use the fridge a few times a day and whenever that happens, the action would reset the SiB without actually sending a message. If the door is not opened then the SiB wakes on its own and sends a message.

The SiB has Bluetooth capabilities but the range is very short. If the person doesn't have the phone with them, the SiB would wake and not send anything - having said that, the BT function that does that is yet to be programmed.

The reason I wanted to say that is because even if the BT function was programmed, it would not be ideal. The best is WiFi.

IF they don't have WiFi your idea of using mobiles as hotspots is the best. Just get rid of all the apps and make the mobile as barebones as possible and it would be the best solution.

In the future we plan to offer a SiB hotspot to specifically solve the problem. The cost will be under $20 and we'll provide a SIM card for around $10 a year that will be enough to do all the SiB needs. The SIM card has 10MB data total capacity but that's more than enough for SiB that are used for random operations - each press is just a few KB's so 10MB goes a long way.

IP Logged