Normal Topic Router does not supported by sib (Read 1205 times)
ernestb

Router does not supported by sib
Aug 24th, 2020 at 9:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have  4g and a five g router. The sib is only supported by 2.4 or 2 g. Do I need to obtain a different router. Ernest

IP Logged

Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Re: Router does not supported by sib
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 9:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ernest,

There's only 2 WiFi frequencies right now in use, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

The lower frequencies have better penetration and therefore can achieve longer distances than higher frequencies which have higher transfer rates but lower penetration and less reach.

This is why the SiB is 2.4Ghz because the purpose is to get better coverage and since the transmission of data is very low, its also fine.

5Ghz is not supported by the SiB and its the same for many WiFi IoT devices.

So we're not talking about the "generation" as you've indicated with 4G or 2G, but rather the frequency that's important.

Your router "should" support 2.4Ghz, practically every router does, but if it doesn't, then yes, you will need to get one that does.

Regards,
Mark

IP Logged

ernestb

Re: Router does not supported by sib
Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 11:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark, my router does have 2.4 G but does not show up in my list of available wifi connections. Both the 5 and 2.4 g lights are working. I called my internet provider and they told me that it might be my phone as to why the 2.4  does not show up. 5g always shows up. I will call tomorrow my internet provider tomorrow. Thanks Ernest.

IP Logged