Normal Topic Wake up for chat? (Read 712 times)
StevenC

Wake up for chat?
Jan 14th, 2023 at 11:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just received my SiBs, and had a general question.

Can you chat/IM to the SiB only when it is awake? It seems I need to push the button before the SiB will respond to my chat.

If so, is there a way to wake up the SiB so it can respond to a chat, but not have it execute a SiB procedure?

IP Logged

Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Re: Wake up for chat?
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 12:22am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Steven,

Since the SiB runs on battery, yes, the only way to chat with it is when the button is pressed to wake it.

You would create a program or select an app prior to it waking and then when it wakes from button press it will read the new program and will do whatever the program wants it to do, including waking periodically to read a sensor or similar.

However, there IS a mode to keep it always awake so it responds immediately to commands and doesn't go to sleep and that mode is:

Mode SID

By sending that to it, it will switch from mode SiB and be on all the time and as long as it has some program running that makes it do something, then it will stay on until the battery is depleted which is just a few hours. If there's no program running then it will go to sleep as a safety precaution.

For SiD mode apps, normally there's an external power supply powering up the SiB so that the internal battery is not used, instead it acts as a backup in case the external power stops for some reason.

Hope that answers your question!

Regards,
Mark

IP Logged

StevenC

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 1:09am
Print Post Print Post  
My SiB is in SIB mode. So what I did when I want to wake up the button so it can process a chat command, was to execute some combination of button presses where I knew there wasn't a program (like triple-click). Then it woke up, processed my chat, and then told me there wasn't a program for my triple-click (which is an expected response).

IP Logged

Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 1:12am
Print Post Print Post  
Yup! that's the way to do it  Cool

IP Logged