Poll
Poll Question: Should Mark reply to this post?

This Poll ends automatically in 28964 days, 7 hours and 5 minutes.
« Created by: Sliced Page on: May 28th, 2021 at 3:26pm »
Normal Topic Can I change the Battery (Read 4151 times)
Sliced Page

Can I change the Battery
Dec 9th, 2020 at 11:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
After numerous attempts to reset my sib and failing I thought of removing the battery and resetting it that way.
Can someone tell me how that is done?

IP Logged

Sliced Page

Re: Can I change the Battery
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 2:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
I understand I am on my own and I am not complaining. I took a chance and decided to remove the battery. Yes I can hear the sharp intakes of breath but someone had to do it and I was willing to sacrifice my life in the name of research. I take full responsibility for my actions and my family have been informed and an ambulance crew promised they'd stand by one day. So for those that come after me here is what I did 'n' gone 'n' done.  I removed the plug for accessories and using a Tacklife rotary tool(really good tool btw) cut a shallow trench on the same side as the battery up to the button edge.
It was touch and go as one stage, I knew if I just nicked the battery I'd be a gonnar but the geek gods were watching over me and my cut when according to plan.
The next stage was the most dangerous. Now that I had the casing cut I could remove the entire technological wonder BUT what if I split the casing what if it was booby trapped?!  I forged ahead with grit and determination knowing my goal was only a few steps away. I found no hidden wires or alarms and the casing came away smoothly. 
THEN I touched the button and all hell broke loose. It flashed green then continuous white . I panicked and dropped the angry machine and hid under the coffee table.
The flashing seemed to last for over and hour but was actually about 30 seconds.

I gingerly returned to my quest this time wearing blast proof gloves (marigolds from the kitchen). Once the button was removed I knew I had complete control of the monster. I gave a fiendish laugh as I held it aloft, "It's ALIVE!".
Now all I had to do was remove it's power source and all my troubles would be over.  I could be welcomed back into the Sib forum I would no longer be ostracised, I would be respected once again. I might be able to program this animal to do my bidding at long last.
So I inserted my specially made broken pencil into the positive end of the battery and gently prized out the nuclear generator AKA Lithium battery. I then waited a few seconds and reinserted it. I held my breath as I placed the button back into its position. I closed my eyes and pressed it.

AGGHHHHHHH!!!!   It still flashed green then continuous white. I failed....so many lives lost so much despair I don't think I'll ever come back from this.
      WHHHAAAAAAAA!

IP Logged

Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 1:52am
Print Post Print Post  
Honestly... no joke, if you wrote some book (you likely have already) tell me where I can buy it! ..if you haven't written something, you certainly should! - your messages are a pleasure to read and even though your technical skills make me cringe lol your English is a delight to read Smiley

I should add that there's absolutely no need to cut the cover of the SiB to gain access to the nuclear reactor aka Lithium battery.

You just have to put both your thumbs on the cap (tip of triangle on cap facing away from you) and with your middle fingers (yup the ones used for rude gestures, so make sure to be careful and not damage these precious ones), you lift the cover from the sides sliding over the thumbs as they press down onto the cap.

The Polycarbonate is so strong that indeed makes it hard to pull the SiB apart, but its easy once you figure out the method. If you do cut the cover, then the SiB can no longer be used in button mode because everything about the SiB works together, to well.. allow it to work.

Having said the above, the strangest thing about your report is that it goes green and then flashes white for like 30s which is EXACTLY the light pattern shown by the SiB when it's ready to provision. I'm just so surprised you haven't managed to pair it to your SiMP or using the direct WiFi connect method.. though it is an older SiB (early version) and nowhere near as refined as the current ones.

Like I said on the other post, happy to send you a replacement free of charge if you can pay for the shipping.

IP Logged

Sliced Page

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 9:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hey Mark you've always been my FAV, although no one else has replied to me but that's not the point you are still number 1 no matter what the other guys say  just ignore everything I said on Reddit about you okay?! cool
Kidding aside your compliment blew me away, THANK YOU .
I have written several books, been on numerous TV chat shows and won so many Pulitzer  prizes it's embarrassing, in my head.

Now, this pesky sib thingy that has plagued me longer than Covid 19.
Even though it has been butchered it still does it's little LED dance with me, teasing saying "C'mon if you think your hard enough... PAIR ME!". Sadly I am not hard enough and cannot pair it.  It's in the corner looking at me like it used too, flashing sometimes, then again that could be my posterior vitreous detachment.
So I will be glad to take you up on your very kind offer to send another sib to torment me.  It can sit next to the first and they can compare notes on how best to annoy a Human.
Please let me know what I should do to pay the shipping.

IP Logged

Sliced Page

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2021 at 4:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
BUMP   oh sorry . BUMP there I go again I am sooo clumsy

IP Logged

Sliced Page

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2021 at 3:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
I think we all need the people to have their say. My Grandfather fought in a War so that we could chat gibberish. I will not let his sacrifice go to waste .

IP Logged

Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2021 at 4:42am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi there, I'm so sorry for the super late reply!

There's been just too much going on and not enough time to do things and I completely missed this thread for one reason or another, apologies.

Since the previous post responses, there's been an important SiMP update which gives you the ability to Factory Reset a SiB.

It only works with some recent firmware versions, BUT, I would love it if you could test with your button and see if you have any luck - it *might* work and if it does, will be wonderful.

All you have to do is install latest version of SiMP, then go to settings and select SiB Settings and there somewhere (depending on your device) will be "factory reset".

You select that, then press SiB for like 15s until the white light goes on and whala, it does it for you, but again, there's a compatibility required but worth the try please.

So do let me know, I'd love to hear of your success or failure.

Sorry again for such a late response.

Regards,
Mark

IP Logged

StevenC

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 12:16am
Print Post Print Post  
Enjoyed reading this thread!

It brings up a question to which I couldn't find an answer.

Is the battery in the SiB rechargeable? If so, how it is recharged?
If not, it is replaceable? If replaceable, how do you replace it?

I hope the answer is yes to at least one of these questions. I had Tile devices with unreplaceable/unchargeable batteries, and they become a useless bauble once the battery dies.

IP Logged

Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 12:33am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Steven,

Ok, so the battery "included" in the SiB is not rechargeable. It is a primary battery that was selected so that it would have a long standby life - hence why we claim over 10 years of battery for many of SiBs uses. In particular when used as a "panic" button or even other things like for door alarms etc.

It IS however, replaceable so yes, this can be done and one of the threads here talks / shows how to replace the battery. But it's not easy because the case / cover of the SiB fits with absolute precision and so to remove the cover there's a trick and it is shown in that thread but even with that trick, some people will find it hard to do.

I on the other hand, can remove the cover in like 2 seconds because I've done it so many times so the point is that it is easy to do when you know how to.

In the future, we plan to sell a cover remover kit with a rechargeable battery for those that want to use a rechargeable battery. Fact is, the SiB can take a rechargeable battery and be recharged, but we haven't made the accessory yet.

Also, if you look under the SiB you can see that the battery has 2 terminals and they are not welded to the battery, thus the battery can be replaced.

Hope that answers your question!

IP Logged

StevenC

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 1:06am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Mark, thanks for the quick reply!

Mark Baum wrote on Jan 15th, 2023 at 12:33am:
It IS however, replaceable so yes, this can be done and one of the threads here talks / shows how to replace the battery. But it's not easy because the case / cover of the SiB fits with absolute precision and so to remove the cover there's a trick and it is shown in that thread but even with that trick, some people will find it hard to do.

Yes, I read that description, and my unfamiliarity with my newly received SiB buttons made that description fly over my head.

I'd recommend that you put together a quick YouTube video showing the process, to make it easier for the visually-oriented to process.

Thanks! - Steven

IP Logged