Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Problems with pairing SiB to SiMP (Read 15507 times)
Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Problems with pairing SiB to SiMP
Feb 15th, 2020 at 2:46am
Print Post Print Post  
There are dozens of version of both Android and iOS operating systems.

We have tested many and found a way to make the pairing process succeed in all that we tested, but for those that have a version we didn't try with, your pairing might be failing.

If that's the case for you, there's a an alternative method to pair the SiB to your SiMP and its quite easy also.

Rather than using SiMP to pair, we have created an "airport" type web based section where you will be able to enter the details instead.

To access this web portal all you need to do is follow these steps:

1. Go to your mobile phones WiFi settings page.
2. Press your SiB.
3. Force your phone to "scan" for new WiFi access points.
4. You will see "Setup Your SiB" come up, please select it.
5. Your phone should prompt you at this time to open a web browser window to configure, please do.
6. Enter your details starting with your mobile number, the mobile number should start with your country code (no need for a +). As an example, for the USA, enter 15551231234 or UK 441234123456.
7. Give your SiB a name - something that identifies its purpose.
8. An access point the SiB can see will be shown, if you are given a choice to select another (if you want to select another) you can do that.
9. Enter the WiFi password for that Access Point.
10. Press SAVE.

You will see progress and hopefully get a report of "Success".

The SiB should power off and now you can get your mobile back on the WiFi access point you desire.

**In the case that you didn't get the best access point shown during step 8 above, this might have happened due to the SiB not picking up the AP during the scan for Airport provision feature.
To get your desired access point set up on the SiB you will need to send it the command which is designed to add new AP's to the SiB.

The command is sent from within the conversation that's been created on your SiMP by the new SiB. So please go in there and you will see the welcome message etc.

The command syntax is: AP add SSID Password. If your WiFi SSID is: MyWiFI_1234 and your password is: $12bexU

You will need to send the command: Ap add MyWiFI_1234 $12bexU

Notice how careful attention is given to upper case and lower case letters.

That's it! - the process although a bit more cumbersome than the automated one, should get the SiB paired to your SiMP and onto experimenting and using it normally.

IP Logged

Jstyles

Re: Problems with pairing SiB to SiMP
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2020 at 9:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Setting up sib via the app failed several times. I then tried set up by connecting directly to it on wifi, and it seemed to work... But nothing is happening, I get nothing in the app. How can I hard reset to attempt to reconnect?

Android, Pixel 3.

Also I emailed your feedback email and email failed.

IP Logged

Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2020 at 12:23am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Joe,

Actually a hard reset is possible and easy.

Just press the SiB 3 times from off.

What you do, is you press it hold it, wait for color to change, release, press again repeat 2 more times.

This factory resets it.

Regards,
Mark

IP Logged

holycow

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2020 at 2:12am
Print Post Print Post  
Did the workaround to pair it. Didn't work from my phone, it doesn't ask to open a web browser. Tried it with my laptop, was able to register it, I thought? But then you get a never ending page that keeps reloading. There is nothing showing in the app.

IP Logged

Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2020 at 3:15am
Print Post Print Post  
We've never tested with a PC the result - though we might see what is possible there in the future.

Can you tell us what version of phone you have please and the operating system, the more detail you give us the better so that we can narrow it down. We'll try and solve this for you.

IP Logged

WesTheArcher

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2020 at 2:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is there any particular reason why the SiMP apps tells you to be on the network you want to add your SiBs too, but then asks you to provide your WiFi credentials anyway?

Logically, I assumed that by being on the network would then automatically add the SiBs to the same one, so it seems that the step to pair is a bit longer than it needed to be?

IP Logged

holycow

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2020 at 5:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark Baum wrote on Feb 19th, 2020 at 3:15am:
Can you tell us what version of phone you have please and the operating system, the more detail you give us the better so that we can narrow it down.

Samsung Galaxy S8 running Android version 9. Jan 1, 2020 security patch level.

IP Logged

Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2020 at 8:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
WesTheArcher wrote on Feb 21st, 2020 at 2:26pm:
Is there any particular reason why the SiMP apps tells you to be on the network you want to add your SiBs too, but then asks you to provide your WiFi credentials anyway?

Logically, I assumed that by being on the network would then automatically add the SiBs to the same one, so it seems that the step to pair is a bit longer than it needed to be?

Even though the phone knows and has the password stored somewhere to be able to access your WiFi, this is data that's not passed onto any APP at all. It would be a serious security risk if this information would be passed to other apps, that's why all you can do is select the best access point (SSID) because there's no security concerns on that, but the password must be entered separately.

However, if you're pairing several SiBs you do get the option to store the password in the pairing section for the remaining SiBs you wish to pair.

IP Logged

Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2020 at 8:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
holycow wrote on Feb 21st, 2020 at 5:27pm:
Mark Baum wrote on Feb 19th, 2020 at 3:15am:
Can you tell us what version of phone you have please and the operating system, the more detail you give us the better so that we can narrow it down.

Samsung Galaxy S8 running Android version 9. Jan 1, 2020 security patch level.

Thank you, we will try and solve this as soon as possible and let you know when the patch is applied.

IP Logged

MatthewR

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2020 at 11:50am
Print Post Print Post  
Still can't connect my sibs using this method, when I click on setup your sib it just says Internet may not be available and when I press keep wi fi connection it connects to the sib but not my wi fi? These things so far a bloody pain in the arse!

IP Logged

Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2020 at 10:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
MatthewR wrote on Feb 22nd, 2020 at 11:50am:
Still can't connect my sibs using this method, when I click on setup your sib it just says Internet may not be available and when I press keep wi fi connection it connects to the sib but not my wi fi? These things so far a bloody pain in the arse!

Hi there, sorry to hear of your frustrations - the SiBs are fine, the software is very good too, but there's just too many platforms out there and we're working towards covering all.

Unfortunately I'm not understanding your chain of events properly and so its hard to assist you.

When the SiB appears during your wifi scan, you should be able to connect to that SiB and that's it, then you would be prompted to enter credentials. If your device is not doing this then its something we need to overcome because you have a specific device model or OS type.

Thing is, another option, if you have any other device in your home or work you can actually pair your SiB via another device and once its paired, your SiMP in your own device will get the conversation for controlling the SiB.

If you do try another device, make sure you enter your own mobile number in the other device - its the one thing that ties your SiB to your own device.

Finally, if you have tried the above and nothing works, you can be certain that soon enough we'll have a patch for your problem that will make it smoother to pair your SiBs.

IP Logged

Cilou

Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 12:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
The set up your sib is not working as well   I can found it but it says no internet connection.. samsung s10+  last android version

IP Logged

MatthewR

Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 12:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
My phone a Samsung s10e updated to latest version. I'll keep trying cheers

IP Logged

MatthewR

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2020 at 10:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Figured it out, on Samsung S10e.
You have to go into Google chrome and setup your sib is a tab at the bottom. Job done!

IP Logged

Mark Baum
Forum Administrator

Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2020 at 10:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
MatthewR wrote on Feb 25th, 2020 at 10:00pm:
Figured it out, on Samsung S10e.
You have to go into Google chrome and setup your sib is a tab at the bottom. Job done!

OH! I see! fantastic, so once you go through the above procedure, rather than get a pop up as on some phones happens, you open chrome or internet browser and its there at the bottom on your phone. Wonderful, thanks for letting us know!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print